Monday, December 2, 2013

Review of (A)Sexual or How a Movie Completely Disappears from Netflix



So my last post about the disappearing titles excluded a fourth subsequent discovery, a 2011 documentary called (A)sexual. I watch it right before the deadline, and now while I’m looking for it on Netflix, it’s as if it never existed. It reminds of that awful movie with Julianne Moore (The Forgotten) where everybody forgets they had children because of something something something.
Back to the movie, which you can find on IMDB still (try my link below or try searching for David Jay, the main subject, typing (A)sexual stumps the IMDB search as well). This is a documentary about people who have no sexual attraction, called Asexuals. I had seen the Montel Williams episode years ago with David Jay (yes, I’ve spent too much of my life watching bad tv) so I was aware of this population of people. My viewing partner (aka my wife) was not. Although the documentary was interesting, it felt more like an intro to the subject for both of us, and left us with unanswered questions. Is anyone further exploring the supposed link between autism and asexuality? for example. This documentary is only an hour and 15 minutes, so any in-depth discussion might still its thunder a bit. The aforementioned David Jay is a main focus of this film, and over the course of the documentary goes through a realization that both I, my wife, and the always entertaining Dan Savage, who was interviewed in the documentary, found troubling. Is it fair for an asexual to have a relationship with a sexual being? Dan and I also were bothered a bit by asexuals positioning themselves as a movement/group that seeks to fall under the LGBT banner. (Savage humorously calls the resulting LGBTA an “alphabet soup”). I completely understand their need to raise awareness, but I don’t think they have gone thru the same struggle as homosexuals for acceptance. It doesn’t seem that the consequences of asexuality extend beyond social awkwardness or being misunderstood. Maybe they still have a struggle ahead of them in that sense, because even the LGBT community has trouble understanding it at this point. I guess that is the main problem with the documentary- it makes you aware of asexuality in an entertaining way, but does it really help you understand it? Do you really know what makes these people tick? For the most part, no. And since Netflix has made this title disappear like a child in a bad sci fi movie, you may never find out for yourself.
The Asexuality website if you want to learn more: http://www.asexuality.org/home/
My IMDB rating: 6 out of 10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1811293/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1a
My Netflix rating : 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment