Friday, December 27, 2013

Old Acquaintances Netflix Forgot- Titles gone January 1st

So I have roughly 400 titles in my instant queue, and when I look at it in list form, a whopping 13 titles are listed as “until 1/1/2014.” I would suggest getting a computer and logging onto Netflix when you have a chance (if you log onto a Playstation or a cell phone, can you see your queue in a list form?), and seeing what titles you have that are disappearing on January 1. I’ve listed all the ones I know about below. I certainly hope Netflix gets some of these back, or gets something else in its place. I would think the best business model for Netflix would be getting MORE titles for streaming, not less.
Dark Shadows (1966)
Dark Shadows (1966) is probably the departing title that I’m most upset will be leaving, because I know I have no chance of watching 166 episodes between now and New Year’s. I have fond memories of coming home after school and watching reruns of this gothic horror soap opera (not to be confused with the Tim Burton remake) in the 80′s on Channel 56 KDOC here in the Los Angeles area. For its time, it was thoroughly entertaining, but at times cheesy (one character turns into a werewolf by falling down below the camera’s view and throwing up pieces of clothing and fur to “show” the transformation). I don’t think anyone is going to take the time to watch these on DVD (especially by renting them through Netflix), so this is definitely something that NEEDS to be on streaming, because it would be a long term project to watch. I hope it stays or comes back in the near future.
Quadrophenia (1979)
Being a Who fan since around the same time I was watching Dark Shadows on TV, I suppose I should have seen this by now. But I was never a big fan of the album. I always thought one concept album was enough.
Ned Kelly (2003)
This could be the only Heath Ledger movie I haven’t seen (yes, I even saw 10 Things I Hate About You, or whatever it was called). Seems to have a very Australian cast. Probably for a reason. If you have all the time in the world, perhaps you can do a Ned Kelly marathon and watch this along with the Mick Jagger film of the same name.
Serpico (1973)
I’ve seen this one, and if you haven’t, it’s probably your best bet. Al Pacino did great work in the 70s (yes, kids, it’s hard to believe but true). Director Sidney Lumet has done other classics. The story follows a cop who roots out corruption in the NYPD. My IMDB Rating: 9/10, Netflix: 5/5
Dressed to Kill (1980)
My IMDB rating for this is 7/10, but don’t remember much about this. It’s directed by Brian De Palma, so chances are it has a great opening but a disappointing ending.
Triumph of the Spirit (1989)
The poster for this makes me laugh: “From the Academy Award Winning Producer of ‘Platoon’” As if anyone follows producers like they’re directors.
Carrington (1995)
I’ve always wanted to see this because it was on Siskel and/or Ebert’s Top 10 for that year. More relevant to most viewers would be that it stars Emma Thompson, who did great work in the 90s.
Other titles going away January 1st:
-The Kids in the Hall (this has to be on Comedy Central still or some other cable channel, right?)
Possession (2002), directed by Neil Labute and starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Aaron Eckhart

No comments:

Post a Comment